My first proper crochet doll.
I have made one other doll but I wasn’t 100% satisfied with her, so I had to try again.
Those of you who have been following my work for a while will know that I rarely work with a pattern.
I love the challenge and creativity that comes with designing my own articles.
Plus, it’s kind of awesome to look at something and think, ‘I made that! all by myself! From scratch!’
It’s also pretty cool to think that no one else will have the same thing, well, unless I sell the article of course. Or share the tutorial with all you lovely people, like I did with my overlay heart for example.
I must say that I am not a very good planner. I never have. Even at school and university I never did much planning for my artworks. I did a sketch or two because I had too but that was pretty much it.
That’s not to say I didn’t plan my work. It was all done in my head though.
And that’s what I did with Eve too.
I had an idea in my head, mainly an thick braid, a hat of some sort and a cape. She had to have a cape.
That was pretty much it.
I started out by making her body, beginning with the head and working all the way down to the legs in one piece.
The arms were added on afterwards.
Then I gave her hair, which is one of the most difficult things about doll making, I think.
So, here I had this naked doll with a big braid and of course she had to be called ‘Eve’. There was no other choice really.
Over the next few days I gave her a hat, dress, underwear, boots and finally a cape.
I am exceptionally pleased with the result and will definitely be making more dolls in the future.
I’ve already got an idea for a little ‘Adam’ 😉
A few statistics:
Eve is just over 20cm tall
It took me around five days to crochet her, not continuously, obviously 😉
I used Vinnis Colour Nikkim 100% cotton yarn and a 4.5mm hook.
I used SC stitches for the body, boots (with a few HDCs) and underwear. The hat, dress and cape are made with an extended SC stitch, which creates a lighter, flowing fabric.